Putting out your campfire in a safe and efficient manner protects those you care about. It’s also your responsibility as a camper to protect the forest, campground, or other environment in which you are camping. There are a few simple steps to accomplishing this:
- Ensure you allow the wood to burn completely
- Pour water over the fire to drown all the embers (not just the red or glowing ones) until the hissing sound stops
- Scrape logs to remove embers
- Stir the ashes and embers with a shovel
- If you don’t have water, you can use dirt, but make sure you do not bury the fire
For more, visit http://www.firease.com/instructions/.